The PA Family Care Act recognizes the need for employees to take time to care for their families at critical times. There is bipartisan support for the Paid Family Care and Medical Leave Insurance in both the PA House and Senate. You can show your support by writing or calling your state representatives and request that they co-sponsor this life-changing legislation.
- “The Family Care Act” is a simple, well-tested mechanism. Similar state insurance funds are already in place in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, California, Washington, and Washington D.C.
- These funds help ensure small businesses can compete with large companies to recruit and retain top-tier talent.
- State taxpayers will also benefit long term from this program. Data shows that individuals who take paid leave are 39% less likely to report using public assistance in the year following a child’s birth.
- Just 6% of the lowest wage earners receive paid family leave compared to 22% of those in the top sector.
- While the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) guarantees unpaid time off to care for a ill family member or new child, most Americans cannot sustain their families for more than two weeks without a paycheck.