May 21, 2018
The Pittsburgh for CEDAW Coalition co-signed a letter to the Pittsburgh Board of Education highlighting the issue of sexual harassment in school with the following asks:
We invite the Pittsburgh Board of Public Education to collaborate with us to eradicate sexual and other forms of harassment within schools that impacts all students, regardless of gender identity.
In particular, we ask that the Pittsburgh Board of Public Education:
- Include language within the Strategic Plan: Expect Great Things describing a commitment to effectively prevent and respond to sexual and other forms of harassment.
- Establish a full-time Title IX Coordinator for the district.
- Collaborate with the Black Girls Equity Alliance and other external experts.
- Establish a task force focused on eradicating sexual harassment to address:
- Measures of students’ experiences of sexual and other forms of harassment
- Assessment of policies and procedures related to sexual harassment
- District-wide training for all staff members to ensure understanding of policies and best practices for addressing sexual and other forms of harassment
To read the letter in its entirety: An Open Letter to the Pittsburgh Board of Public Education_May 21 2018